To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

Trevor,

 We've heard the "name game" refrain for a while, but IMHO, that's
missing the mark by a long shot.  That's like saying that the entire
Ferrari line won't sell if I paint some pink.  As "modern" as this
platform is, there are some gaping holes that only IBM can fix, but
they choose not to.  I'll throw out a few, others can chime in with
additional items and details.

1) IBM seems to be embarrassed by the box.  Put a pSeries up against
an iSeries in a potential sale and chances are the pSeries will win,
if there's an IBM sales rep involved.  They don't market it
properly.  All of us in the field recognize that.  Since I don't
believe that the parade of IBM'ers over the years in charge of
marketing the box are stupid, the only conclusion I can come to is
that it's deliberately being sabotaged.  I don't know why, but I'm
not privy to those meetings.

2) A native GUI is mandatory.  I don't want to hear about HATS,
Websphere or other screen scraper technology.  A simple DDS interface
will make it accessible to the masses.  This needs to be part of the
OS, right out of the box, w/ no additional configuration required.

3) Printing and viewing popular PC images are a royal pain, without
conversions or add-ons.  Could you imagine if Microsoft charged extra
to print standard graphics files?

4) Pricing.  Take a page out of Microsoft's marketing
machine.  Purchasing this machine should be a slam dunk for any IT
manager.  IBM loves to throw out the 3-5 year ROI calculation when
trying to make a sale.  I say - keep that value and introduce a new
concept:  Being competitive with a PC server solution -
NOW!  Corporate wants to hear that we can budget and afford this
solution - NOW!  Shareholders want to hear that we saved money THIS
year, not in 3 - 5 years.

 The many name changes are just adding insult to injury.  But since
they're not marketing it properly, positive brand recognition is not
there anyway.

 -mark