Wayne McAlpine wrote:

Good idea, Jim, provided that security auditing is enabled.

You're right about that.

I am regularly disturbed by seeing comments like "But we can't use the audit entries because we don't have it active -- too much space is used. Is there any other way?" Rarely in the Midrange forums, but there are plenty of others.

As if storing the info in some _other_ object would somehow take less space. And this _other_ object would only store the specific bits of info needed by the OP for the problem at hand. And this _other_ storage would be some kind of obscure, hidden space that's always being used even if you didn't ask for it and the techie gurus will know about it. And this _other_ storage would be there in addition to the audit journal if you turned that on too. And...

Ah, well.

I'd be surprised if Rob didn't have it active at least. I just had to drop in a pet-peeve comment.

Tom Liotta

Jim Franz wrote:
Try the audit journal entry type PW and OUTFILFMT(*TYPE5) to an *outfile

sample
                                JOB        USER       JOB     PROGRA
TYPE TIMESTAMP                  NAME       NAME       NUMBER  NAME
PW   2006-11-28-08.49.37.136912 QINTER     QSYS       207546  QLESPI
..... many columns later
REMOTE REMOTE
PORT   ADDRESS
1243  10.0.1.80