     To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
     Date: 11/01/2006 01:04PM
     Subject: RE: Summary results in SQL

     With QM forms it is possible to get some interesting results. A QMFORM
     is like the presentation side of Query/400 queries - QMQRYs are the data
     retrieval part of Query/400. You can specify summary functions in
     QMFORMs - it is a little tricky to get a summary-only equivalent. Query
     Manager is the preferred tool for generating QMFORMs, as the tag
     language used is not for the faint of heart. But see the Query
     Management Programming guide for more about this, as well as several
     nice examples.

     From: "Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

     > Short answer...No.
     >
     > Long answer, SQL expects the query tool being used to provide the
     > summary rows you are looking for.
     >
     > For a green screen equivalent, try Query Manager (STRQM). In query
     > manger, you'd specify the query as:
     > SELECT DISTINCT
     > TPROD,
     > TQTY,
     > TQTY * TSCST AS COLUMN0000
     > FROM
     > V40BPCSF.ITHL15 ITH
     > WHERE
     > TWHS IN( '11', 'HT' )
     > AND TTDTE BETWEEN &TTDTE1 AND &TTDTE1
     > AND TQTY <> 0
     > AND TTYPE IN( 'M', 'PR' )
     > AND TPROD BETWEEN &TPROD2 AND &TPROD2
     > AND TLOCT IN( 'INXT', 'RMDI', 'DWIP' )
     >
     > Then in the Query Manager Form, you'd specify the Column usage as SUM.
     > When you run the query with the specified form, you'd get detail and
     > summary lines on the report.
     >
     > Showcase should allow you the same capacity.
     >

     > In order to get a results set that actually contains detail and
     summary
     > rows, you have to use a UNION.
     > SELECT DISTINCT
     > TPROD,
     > sum(TQTY),
     > sum(TQTY) * TSCST AS COLUMN0000
     > FROM
     > V40BPCSF.ITHL15 ITH
     > WHERE
     > TWHS IN( '11', 'HT' )
     > AND TTDTE BETWEEN &TTDTE1 AND &TTDTE1
     > AND TQTY <> 0
     > AND TTYPE IN( 'M', 'PR' )
     > AND TPROD BETWEEN &TPROD2 AND &TPROD2
     > AND TLOCT IN( 'INXT', 'RMDI', 'DWIP' )
     > Group by TPROD
     > UNION
     > SELECT DISTINCT
     > TPROD,
     > TQTY,
     > TQTY * TSCST AS COLUMN0000
     > FROM
     > V40BPCSF.ITHL15 ITH
     > WHERE
     > TWHS IN( '11', 'HT' )
     > AND TTDTE BETWEEN &TTDTE1 AND &TTDTE1
     > AND TQTY <> 0
     > AND TTYPE IN( 'M', 'PR' )
     > AND TPROD BETWEEN &TPROD2 AND &TPROD2
     > AND TLOCT IN( 'INXT', 'RMDI', 'DWIP' )
     >
     > HTH,
     >
     > Charles Wilt
     > --
     > iSeries Systems Administrator / Developer
     > Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
     > ph: 513-573-4343
     > fax: 513-398-1121

     list