Mark,

This is where LPAR fits so well. You can create a partition on the i that is just used for hosting disk for x and AIX/Linux partitions. Since that partition isn't used for development or web serving or Java or C or such things, the requirement that it gets the latest greatest PTFs is minimal. Routinely we see these partitions running for a year without PTFs. Your dev partitions can be updated and IPLed without so much as a hickup on the hosting partition side.

This is clearly the sort of setup I would recommend in your environment.

Hopefully in a soon to be released version IBM will allow i5/OS to be a guest of another i5/OS partition. Now THAT has me drooling at how simple it would be to create a new partition!

- Larry