To check cume level on V5R1 you can always do a DSPPTF.  The first ptf you
see under 5722999 is normally the cume.  For example, TLYYJJJ  where YY is
a two digit year and JJJ is the Julian day of that year that the cume was
released.  Since V5R1 is obsolete and no longer supported I suspect you'd
be a bit behind and might have an obstacle in getting a copy of that last
cume issued.
Straight from the last cume cover letter:
   - The last cumulative package for Version 5 Release 1.0 is: C4300510
   - Cumulative package C4300510 began shipping worldwide:   01 Nov 2004.
   - Date cumulative PTF package instructions were updated:  01 Nov 2004.
   - NO ADDITIONAL CUMULATIVE PACKAGES ARE PLANNED.
I don't think V5R1 supported WRKPTFGRP.  You can check the marker ptf's at
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/GroupPTFs?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=5#5

QJOBMSGQ could have been marked damaged by all your failures.  Probably
not the cause of your failures.  I did a WRKOBJ *ALL/QJOBMSGQ with a
profile that has *ALLOBJ one two lpars and found it on neither. Sheepishly
my first hit on google for QJOBMSGQ was an email I sent to this list
regarding someone else's issue.  The second hit referred to ROBOT.
QJOBMSGQ is the message queue for a particular job.  Do not worry about
saving or restoring it.  It should be rebuilt with each new job.

As far as "Log version QHST03279A in QSYS closed and should be saved.",
that is unrelated to your problem.  Make it a separate thread if you want.
 I don't want to take this thread off in a tangent to answer that one.

May want to do the following:
STRSST
1. Start a service tool
1. Product activity log
1. Analyze log
1=All logs

Then some judicious use of F12 and you're back to the first sst screen.
1. Start a service tool
7. Hardware service manager
6.  Work with service action log