Rob,

I don't disagree with the idea that one shouldn't be afraid of adding
indexes due to performance implications, thus my use of the phrase "add
lots of indexes".

How many is "lots"?  It depends of course.

No matter how efficient IBM has made the implementation, maintenance on
access paths does have a cost.  If you get stupid with the indexes, for
example a large file with 3,686 indexes (the max) built over it, you're
probably going to have a problem!  Then again, you could be running a 64
processor 595 with max RAM installed.

Would I add an index useful to a query run once a year?  Probably not.

Would I add an index useful to a query run once a day?  You betcha.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121