We are attempting to FTP a file from a bank using the FTP command -

FTP RMTSYS('bank.ftpserver.com') PORT(20021) SECCNN(*SSL)

This connects to a Sterling Commerce FTP server on the bank's mainframe.
Once connected, I can provide user ID and password, move around in
directories, and pretty much do anything I want to except list contents of
directories and retrieve files.  When I try to actually retrieve a file, the
session hangs and eventually gives me a "No response from FTP server"
message.

The odd thing is, I am already connecting to another bank which uses
Sterling Commerce and have been retrieving files from them for several
months.  I have gone back and forth with the bank's (semi-)technical support
personnel to describe the problem as a firewall configuration issue based on
many messages here on Midrange-L to no avail.  Today I received this e-mail
from the (not very) technical support person:

"The problem is that the FTP control data is encrypted as it comes through
the firewalls, so it cannot be read to do the IP "natting" at the firewall.
Most third-party clients handle this by storing the original control address
and using it during the transmission. Native FTP programs such as MSDOS and
IBM's FTP do not allow for this and uses each control block as it is sent.
There is also a feature called Clear Control Channel that allows the userid
and password to be sent encrypted, then all other data exchanged over the
control channel to be sent as clear text. In our case, this would allow the
firewall to see the IP address and correctly "nat" it to the proper IP. All
data sent over the data channel will remain encrypted. According to our
vendor, this is a feature normally found only in third-party FTP software,
and they are fairly certain this feature would not be available on the
default AS/400 operating system FTP software."

This response seems highly incorrect in light of the fact that we are
already FTPing from another bank using Sterling Software.

Is their response correct?

Thanks,

Steve