Well, at the core you could start by just saving spool files.  This, and
data queues, are included in V5R4.
SAVLIB LIB(MYLIB) DEV(TAP01) SPLFDTA(*ALL) QDTA(*DTAQ)
SAVOBJ OBJ(MYOBJ) LIB(MYLIB) DEV(TAP01) SPLFDTA(*ALL) QDTA(*DTAQ)

IBM peddles a product called InfoPrint Server (5722IP1) that does all
sorts of things.  Including making pdf files out of spool files, etc.
http://www.printers.ibm.com/internet/wwsites.nsf/vwwebpublished/ipserverhome_i_ww

Every Tom, Dick and Harry publishes a utility to just convert spool files
into PDF files.

IBM has a couple of things for "document management":
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/contentmanagement/business/Documentmanagement/Documentmanagement/index.html
But when you search IBM's web site for document management you get a few
hits.
1 - 10 of 2,926 results

I let the users know that we do NOT save spool files.  That they are to be
aware that they could disappear in a DR situation.  And that we
automatically purge ANY spool file that is over x days old - no
exceptions.