Steve Richter wrote:
modules have to throw exceptions. that's my rule! ahem.

How?

RPG doesn't have a mechanism to throw exceptions.  At least not the RPG
I work with (which is, by necessity, a few releases back from the
current GA version).

If you cant throw exceptions then you are not modular and you are
going to have a terrible time debugging and maintaining your
application.

I write very modular code ... but never throw an exception ... exception
throwing is not normal in RPG, so it shouldn't be done except in
extraordinary situations.

If you need to report an error, far better to get an error code from
whoever you called.

How do you get a list of the transactions the server handles?  Not
easy.

Depends on the server ... if it's written in a way to so you can get
that list, no problem.

All the clients are sending a flat 80 characters that can have a
number of formats.

Who said?  Formats are nothing but a contract between the sender and
receiver.  If you write your client & server properly, and a multiple
formats are required, the server will work out the data format on it's own.

What clients are feeding the server?

Who cares?  The clients are sending requests ... the server needs to
ensure the request is valid before it processes it.

You probably cant tell because all the clients use a direct call to
the qsnddtaq api.

There's no requirement that any application code call QSNDDTAQ ...
personally, I would put the sending code in a procedure that constructed
the data queue for me without requiring that the application code know
ANYTHING about the data queue format.  All it will know is that it has
called a procedure to submit a request to the server.

david