I called IBM Support and while they didn't know the answer either, they showed me how to get to more verbose logging.

The virtual media was failing on an error that said something along the lines of "volume CDROM not part of series." It didn't dawn on me until after lunch that Work with Licensed Programs was reading the virtual media just fine but rejecting it as being of illegitimate pedigree. I recreated the iso 9660 disc image making sure that it was a bit by bit duplicate of the original install CD instead of a copy of the contents. I then uploaded the new disc image to the IFS on the i5 and it worked flawlessly.

Thanks,
Alfred

Larry Bolhuis wrote:

My guess is the .iso type of file you are creating isn't compatible with the image catalog. I played with that early in V5R2 and never got my PC generated images to work so I always create them on a System i box and then FTP them from there. i5/OS uses some binary format which I have forgotten.

Do you have local access to a System i where you can create the image and send that over?

- Larry

Alfredo Delgado wrote:
I've been trying to install the Java Toolbox (5722JC1) onto an i5 a state away by utilizing an image catalog. The image catalog part of the equation appears to be working fine until I try to verify it after loading the disc image I created from a CD.

I created a virtual optical drive and varied it on:
CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(*VRT) ONLINE(*YES) TEXT('Virtual optical drive for image catalog.')
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(OPTVRT01) CFGTYPE(*DEV) STATUS(*ON)

I created an image catalog:
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(IMGCATALOG) DIR('/IMGCatalog') CRTDIR(*YES) TEXT('image catalog')

I created a level 1 iso 9660 disc image and copied it to /IMGCatalog' then added it to the image catalog: ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(IMGCATALOG) FROMFILE('/IMGCatalog/D2924_04.iso') TOFILE(*FROMFILE) REPLACE(*INSERT)

I loaded the image catalog unto the virtual optical drive:
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(IMGCATALOG) DEV(OPTVRT01)

Then failure:
VFYIMGCLG IMGCLG(IMGCATALOG) SORT(*YES)

Any pointers on where I might have gone wrong  would be helpful.

David Gibbs and these links have been helpful to me:
http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/575.html

Thanks,
Alfred