If the different manufacturer item already comes with a serial # (from them), then you have to track each and every one of them using that unique serial #, which needs to be entered to your system by scan or keyboard at time of arrival on your premeses.

This is different from standard inventory control where we can have a large quantity of same item, and all we track is how many we have. In the manufacturing software (usually called ERP) the normal way to track individual items is through lot or container control. In this case, your lot consists of one item, and the lot # is the serial #. With lot control, every time you move one item, it has to be identified by its serial #. If you only want to do this on these other manufacturer items, and not on your regular stuff, this is doable. Most ERP will let you pick and choose which categories of items are subject to lot control.

If the serial # needs to be assigned by your outfit, then standard application design can have a field in a control file some place that has the last one assigned, or the next one, then every time software needs to identify another of those units, it increments the control field place by one. Your application design has to avoid the Y2K syndrome of running out of numbers.

Typical application design let's us reuse the same item #s, order#s, RMA#s, lot#s etc. after their usefulness to us for one purpose has ended, but serial#s need to climb forever. You may wish to look into managing non-numeric components of the serial # accumulation logic so the size of the field not grow so fast.

Then there is the archive responsibility. Do you need to keep a record in your computer system for perpetuity on where each serial # went? Does it matter if the returned serial # whatever comes back to you from a customer other than the one you sent it to? Which is a problem I had at a former employer partly because, where the data met the people, they were not religiously keying in the right stuff.

The issue is that we would be selling a different manufacturer's product, as a bonus to ours. In our warehouse, we have to seal this product to ours. but keep their serial number visible and a record of it, even tho it will not appear in any of our edi.

  We need to keep track of this serial number in case of recall.

"Kruse, Kat" <kkruse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Need to know a little more about your application in order to make
suggestions.

Kat Kruse
IT Engineer
Qualcomm, Inc.