I followed up on  the hyperlink that Rob posted about multi-member SQL defined
tables which  included a number of reasons for having multiple members,
including performance  considerations pertaining to record level access,
copying, saving, restoring,  reorganizing, indexing, and generally working with
partitioned data.  There were  many good reasons for partitioning physical
files into  members.

 I tried using the  CHGPF command to set the MAXMBRS parameter to *NOMAX of an
SQL generated  physical file, which produced an error with the following help
text:

 "SQL tables,  views, indexes, and non-SQL files that are in an SQL data base
must have only  one member...", so I guess that confirms that the DB2
MultiSystem product must  be installed, first.

 Another  alternative is to simply use DDS to create physical files and set
MAXMBRS to  *NOMAX.

 I also followed up  on a number of references to performance considerations
between SQL defined  tables and indexes, and DDS defined tables and indexes,
and found a mixed bag  considerations that were essentially irrelevant for most
applications, and  concluded that SQL and DDS are essentially comparable as
well as compatible.   There is no clear winner in the SQL vs. DDS debate.

 I use DDS for most  table definitions simply because it's more readable and
easier to work with.  If  you need SQL DDL then iSeries Navigator provides a
nice utility for generating  SQL DDL from physical files.