In other words, a relational data base is what we have all been striving towards for decades? DB2/ is completely capable of being a relational data base?

I ask that because I see nothing mentioned in your response that has not been available for years with the i5.

I hope this response sounds OK. I am asking these questions because I am trying to learn.

Dave Odom wrote:
Booth,

In the way of an overview..., while getting rid of or never creating
"membered" files in the first place is the beginning of good relational
design, there is more.   Usually, you want to do what is called
"normalization", at least to 3rd normal form if you are creating tables
for most transaction-type applications.   (If you're doing data
warehouse tables, then you need to "denormalize" your table design using
what's known as a "star" or "snowflake".)    The reasons why are covered
in books and courses on doing relational database design.
A good relational DBA, thoroughly trained and experienced in good
relational design, would be the person to seek out to do your table
designs.   He/She should also be able to help with good index, view,
referential integrity, store procedure and trigger design where needed. If they have ever been a programmer against relational tables they can
also help you with your application design on how to best access your
"normalized" relational tables.

Its really not all that hard, just work.   Let me know if I can help.

Take care,

Dave