Walden,

The System i lends itself to SOA extremely well. And, part of SOA is to leverage our EXISTING systems, and integrate them with the world. SOA is not just for building NEW systems.

One guy at COMMON asked if it was just another way for IBM to get rid of RPG and move us all to Java. My answer was that SOA provides us the means to leverage our existing systems - including RPG - and move into the future.

As for the daily grind, and the tasks that we must do to satisfy the users, most green IT shops are simply victims of poor time management. Tactical approaches to IT will keep us in the past. Apply some strategic thinking and don't be left behind with the whiners.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walden H. Leverich"
Subject: RE: Application design & architecture

>It is being worked on by brilliant minds and thought leaders who have a

much better view of business than is reflected inside these programmer
walls.

And therein lays the problem. I actually _like_ SOA, and it brings many
interesting things to the table. But let's face it, the iSeries is an
SMB machine (with a few exceptions.) We're not going to design and
architect the next Social Security System on an iSeries. Quite often
those "brilliant minds" contain too much theory and not enough reality.
SOA is really great, it's true, but there's also the application program
that needs to be complete and on the user's desktop next Tuesday, SOA or
not.

-Walden