From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 10:45 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Application design & architecture

Eric,

I think most people are at the same place as you are when it comes to SOA. I

would say that there is no question about which applications are suited for
SOA 'deployment' - it is ALL of them.

SOA is an architecture for your entire business. It is not something that
you compare to SQL stored procedures, for example. SQL stored procedures are

one of the technologies that could be used to create SOA - just as ILE is,
just as RPG is, etc.

Compare this to building a house. Most people hire the builder first - just
like we are the developers. The builder has tools - hammers, saws, wrenches.

The developer has tools - RPG, SQL, J2ee, .NET. The architect is the
designer of how the house looks - where things fit together, the standards
of plumbing, wiring, how rooms fit together, etc. The SOA architect is the
one who designs how things fit together - modularized, loosely coupled, open

standards, interoperable, etc. Commitment control is a tool for a developer,

not an architect.

Service-Oriented Architecture does not dictate the tools you use. SOA
provides the foundation, the framework, the standards for how the 'house'
will be built.

Trevor