Jerry,

SOA has NOT been done before. The best practices that make up SOA are things we have done before and are improving.

And, SOA is NOT technology, or hardware, or software. Just because IBM Software Group is selling you Websphere like it is SOA, that does not mean SOA is Websphere..

SOA is not promised as the "next best thing". It is a step in the right direction, and besides, SOA is already here. It is an ARCHITECTURE - this is something completely different than we typically do. Have you ever, seriously, architected an application? Have you ever been in a company that has a complete architecture for their entire IT?

Your thinking on SOA is mis-directed - mostly, I am sure because IBM appears to be the one telling us what SOA is. Go check out the real scoop on SOA. - I wrote about it here: http://www.angustheitchap.com/Angus/WhatIs/WhatIs.html
- ZapThink is a thought leader on SOA: http://www.zapthink.com/
- Oracle has a wonderful SOA approach. I encourage you to research!
- Microsoft said: "Make no mistake, service orientation is moving forward. The core tenets are rooted in sound principles inherited and extended from successful architectures."

I think that while we listen to vendors (including IBM) tell us their definition of SOA, we will be misguided. Discover the truth before you compare it to anything that has happened before.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: <GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Application design & architecture

"Can we design an architecture that will make us more efficient?"

"It has been done. It is called SOA."

And before that it was Websphere, and before that it was JAVA, and before
that it was CASE, and before that SAA... and before that, well you get the
idea.

I know these aren't architectures, but they were all promised as the next
big thing to increase efficiency and reduce costs. Vendor/media hype
anymore, to me, is about as trustworthy as political campaign advertising.

And oddly enough the NPTUI (thanks Larry!) has outlasted a few of these.
Time will tell about the others.

Regards, Jerry