At 3:36 PM -0500 5/5/06, Trevor Perry wrote:
You missed the point entirely.

   I admitted that...

Reading the story, I see no reference to development time or what the
application was in order to discern an advantage.

OK, I inferred the development time from the completed task. Little did I know that these projects spring forth from your keyboard (no wait, I guess from your mouse) instantaneously, with no effort whatsoever and at no cost to anyone.

Nor do I read where I
asked the guy to click a button. What is going on here? Being pushed a
little too hard? Not reading all the words? No wonder it seems I am crushing
something.

I didn't say you "asked". I said "You got some guy to click a button that he didn't need to click", meaning by virtue of your interface design. Please don't mischaracterize my responses just so you can follow them up with gratuitous ad hominem comments.

When you read the story, you might understand that the user's resistance to
a mouse was a lie. He was simply resistant to change.

Except that your story makes no sense given the context of the previous discussion. I certainly didn't say that users would be resistant to using a mouse. If anything, since they probably have a Windows computer at home they would know exactly how to use it.

A lesson to be learned for the whiners..

Ignoring your name-calling for the moment, the lesson to be learned is that a mouse-driven prettified widget-laden interface is not always the best one for the task, in terms of cost, ease of use, and/or efficiency. If you think otherwise, rip out the steering wheel and pedals from your car and replace them with one of your beloved Windows dialogs. With no keyboard.

   - Lou Forlini
     Software Engineer
     System Support Products, Inc.