You most fortunate ... our pattern is the reverse ... a PC user might have more junk on their PC than is supported by the "gas" the company has supplied them ... such as emoticons in e-mail, lots of applications open concurrently, so the PC locks up, and has to be rebooted, while one of the sessions was in middle of some 400 update job.

However, check the addresses of the dumb terminals, and the connections ... they should all be unique. * We had a problem with an old terminal that tended to lose its electronic setup, so it thought it was logical address 0 or 1 (whatever is first) that was assigned to some other dumb terminal, so now two talking to 400 with same address. Both powered up, they interfere with each other ... one powered off, the other works find. * Check the manual for the dumb terminals with problems, and what kind of a twinax connection is being used ... there are several kinds and they not interchangeable ... we had a problem once with a dumb terminal with the wrong kind of connector ... that worked fine, but other terminals on same daisy chain got messed up because of it. * The last terminal on the cable thru should be properly terminated. If the last guy gets removed, that means the cable to where the last guy used to be located, is a humongous antenna to cause interference to others downstream. * The cable can be spliced, where terminals used to be, but each line has a ceiling on total number of splices, and length of the cable. * Check your configuration ... there is a limit to how many addresses can be connected to a remote controller & those no longer in use can eat up the available total ... you may need to delete some old ones to support new ones. * Check around the work area ... we have had clutter at wall plug such that someone accidentally kicks a desk or whatever, and it jiggles the wall plug. * Check other stuff on same electrical circuit as the dumb terminal (this also applies to PCs. A refrigerator or other appliance can suddenly draw more power, causing a loss of voltage to sensitive equipment on the same circuit. * Check the path taken by the twinax cable ... do you have an occasional cable city, with signal cables, power cables, twisted together ... best way to cross is at right angles ... power cable alongside signal cable can cause interference. Other things can cause interference. Some place there is IBM manual that talks about appropriate distances ... there's some safety margin there ... our AS/400 is next door to Airport Radar, which is clear violation of IBM rules. * Does the program have a screen that calls for 132 wide compressed screen, while the dumb terminal is either not setup for that, or not capable of that? * When the program "shuts down" is there something in the error log on that work session that provides a clue, such as an associated error message?
* Is there anything in WRKPRB on these dumb terminals?

HI We have an issue in a remote plant. Some of the users have dumb
terminals and others have PC client access. Sometimes, the Dumb terminals
will shut down in the middle of a program. But this never happens w/ the
PC C/A.

I was interested in troublshooting this issue. Could it be the program, or
is it communications, and how to figure out the root causes?

Thanks,
Steve