Many years ago I ran into an article by a fellow midranger in Canada who had
set up a complete thin client system for a company running remotely off the
AS/400 in their corp headquarters. All the thin clients ran Linux, and the
company was very satisfied. Maybe I'll come across the article again. Thiebold
or something like that was the name maybe? Are you there?

I said then that thin clients were totally underestimated, and they are in
everybody's future. Nowadays, you have to have midrange client programs
bragging that you can click somewhere on your green screen emulator and bring
up a picture of the product! (Think of the counter guys).

One company I worked with recently was absorbed to another one, and somebody
made a decision to make thin clients the "replacement terminal" for when they
had to replace one. And maybe eventually replace them.

One branch in 1998 inherited thin clients from another one that closed, and
they couldn't sing its praises enough. And it didn't do anything, all they had
was emulation.

Sure I don't need no stinkin' GUI but how many guys here do their email typing
on AS/400 Office? No wonder it self-destructed.

It would be useful to have a standard gui for our midrange. Soltis I think it
was once that said his biggest regret on OS/400 was deciding against GUI, and
Scott Klement has complained about it, but I think we often are the drag.

--Alan