To me it's good they're handling it that way, but I remember finding out
about the setup initially after it turned off the card's battery and HOSED
up production pretty good for 5-6 hours until the CE got there to replace
the battery.  I think they could do better about making this setup more
apparent and visible to the user when those controllers are installed.  I
think people tend to learn about it AFTER they run into the problem...

             "Christen, Duane
             J."
             <dchristen@mcleod                                          To
             usa.com>                  "'Midrange Systems Technical
             Sent by:                  Discussion'"
             midrange-l-bounce         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/21/2006 11:41          RE: Slow AS400 performance
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

The battery is rechargable, (I assume) the warning you get has nothing to
do
with the charge on the battery but more to do with it's mean time to
failure. (MTF)

The MTF would be the point in time where the battery is to weak to protect
the cache for a specific time period, not when the battery wont hold a
charge.

Lets say (just pulling numbers out of the air) that the the average MTF is
5
years, and over thousands of tests etc... 4 years was the earliest failure
point. From that data IBM decided that 3 years is when the battery needs to
be replaced to ensure that you don't have a main power failure and battery
to weak to protect the cache.

Duane Christen