James,

With MAILROUTER(*NONE) and FIREWALL(*NO), the iSeries simply delivers
external mail itself.  If you send an email to midrange.com, the iSeries
would look up the MX record for midrange.com and attempt to send the
mail to the specified server.  Obviously, the iSeries needs to be able
to access the internet for this to work.

With MAILROUTER(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) FIREWALL(*YES) the iSeries forwards all
mail to the specified mail router.  That mail router must be configured
to relay mail for the iSeries.  In this case, the iSeries doesn't even
need to be able to access the internet.

That's the basic's, hope it helps.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America