Thanx for your comments Ed ... Let me clarify my reason for suggesting an audit
record for Special Authority use.

>Could the design of this new audit record be such that it would capture all
>the reasons that someone was allowed to access a function or an object?

This wasn't the intent of my suggestion. I was just wondering if it would be
possible for an audit record to be deposited "if" a Special Authority was the
reason a user was allowed to access and object. In this case, *SAVSYS
authority. If the reason was that the user had *OBJEXIST rights to the object,
then there would be no reason to deposit anything to the audit journal.

So lets say that user has *OBJEXIST rights to OBJ1 and they also have *SAVSYS
special authority... I don't see a problem with a record being deposited to the
journal if *SAVSYS authority was checked first. At that point in time this
journal entry would still be telling me that this user was allowed to save OBJ1
because they had *SAVSYS authority. Once *SAVSYS authority was removed and the
user tried to save the object again, nothing would be deposited to the journal.
They could still save the object because they have *OBJEXIST to it and this
would be ok too. The reason behind journal entries for Special Authority
*SAVSYS use isn't to record what can be saved, but that Special Authority was
used to save it. If a user has *OBJEXIST rights to an object, then it is given
that they can save and delete the object. Most likely they own it anyway.

>Could the design of this new audit record be such that it would capture all
>the reasons that someone was allowed to access a function or an object?

It wouldn't have to be. All it really needs to do is record that Special
Authority was the reason access was given. I wasn't suggesting that audit
records be deposited to describe all reasons a user was allowed access to any
particular object, just when they got that access because of a Special
Authority.

I can still see this as being a valuable tool for a System Administrator.
Especially if it was extended to record if Special Authority use resulted in
the access to any "object".

I could see having journal records deposited when *SAVSYS, *SECADM, *AUDIT,
*IOSYSCFG, and *SERVICE are the reason access to an object was granted by the
system. Special Authority like *JOBCTL and *SPLCTL, wouldn't be included
because these Special Authorities provide access to function as opposed to
permanent objects.

*ALLOBJ wouldn't need to be logged either since you already know that a user
with that authority can access anything.

It wouldn't be helpful to have the access to every object on the system logged
in the audit journal, as backups are being performed by a QSYSOPR profile. So a
way to exclude certain user profiles from this auditing process would be needed
too.

Kenneth