Steve,

  Regarding P5 and I5 pricing parity, it looks like the P5 model 520  starts at
about $6,000, while the I5 model 520 (with accelerator)  starts out at about
$24,000.  But the price of DB2 for the P5 runs  about $18,000.  That makes the
I5 sound like a better deal to me;  the OS environment is more robust and
better integrated (speaking as a  former deveveloper under AIX).

  You could swap mySQL for DB2 under AIX, in order to drop the price, and  I
bet a number of system integrators recommend that, but mySQL performs  poorly
under PASE on the I5, and giving up native access to the  database wouldn't be
worth it.

  Instead, you can get an I5 model 520 (minus the accelerator) for about
$10,000, which is a pretty good price point for small companies that  need an
integrated application and database server.

  If you go the route of coding your applications using distributed
architecture, it gets expensive in a hurry as the number of server's  you're
managing multiply.  Google is said to manage in excess of  100,000 servers.

  I sometimes wonder if I5 integration strategy, where software and  hardware
are both bundled and tuned for optimum performance will be  able to compete
into today's market, but when you add up everything, it  turns out to be a good
value.

  Nathan.

Steve Richter <stephenrichter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  On 3/9/06, Peter Dow (ML)
wrote:
> I don't get it -- you want software at hardware prices?  Or did you mean
> you want i5/OS at (AIX|Linux + DB2) prices?

on the p5 AIX and Linux are sold for about the same price. Would be
great if i5/OS was available on the p5 for a similar price.  If the
bundling of DB2, CL and the interactive subsystem is such a valuable
add on, allow the OS to be sold without those features.

-Steve