midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   6. RE: Re: Failure to permanently apply ptf's prior to an
>      upgrade (rob@xxxxxxxxx)
>
>date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:30:57 -0500
>
>The objects created (the new save files) are not created outside of the
>product library.  The save files created as part of the APYPTF process are
>created within the product library.  Your steps 4a and 4b are not what
>happens.

Rob:

I'm always ready to learn, and I'm not the best at this. Where did I mess up?
The sequence I listed came from the joblog of a test I ran for a PTF I created
for one of my LPPs. IBM LPPs _might_ be slightly different, but I haven't seen
much difference.

The product library is 'LIBA' in my simplified scenario; LIBA is where PGMA
resides and PGMA was to be PTF'd. If I download a PTF and the download creates
a savefile, that savefile should be in QGPL. Nothing involved with product
library LIBA yet.

LODPTF does its work in QSRV; still no LIBA involvement AFAIK except placing
the new (but not finally named) object there. APY/RMVPTF make changes to the
names of the PTF'd objects in LIBA, plus some cleanup in QSRV. Any PTF exit
programs can do whatever additional stuff they're written to do. (I haven't
created non-QSYS.LIB PTFs yet. I'm not exactly looking forward to it.)

You can see the various renames in your joblog during LOD/APY/RMVPTF.

You can run WRKOBJ *ALL/QPZR* or *ALL/QPZA* to see renamed objects in your
various product libraries if you have *TEMP PTFs around. Simon was more precise
in supplying the names that get created. AFAIK, such objects should be seen in
the appropriate product library, e.g., in 'LIBA' or 'QSYS' or 'QBRMS'.

I guess the 'R' and 'A' in the rename names relate to RMVPTF and APYPTF. The
naming convention isn't absolute apparently -- there are 'normal' objects in
some IBM product libraries that begin 'QPZ*'.

BTW, the renaming shouldn't affect pointers that are resolved. New processes
would resolve pointers for the newly renamed PGMA.

Tom Liotta

>Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>02/17/2006 07:01 PM
>
>1. I download a PTF that will fix PGMA in lib LIBA.
<snip>