> The CE called back.  He said he's going to crank it up a
> couple of notches with support.  It's taking way too long in
> his estimation to get it resolved.

The CE is here.  Attached his laptop and it shows no UPS is attached.  Did a
*FULL IPL last night.

Said a new cume was released on 2/14, suggested I order that, so I did.

We did a full power down and unplugged for 2 minutes.  His laptop connected
to the HMC (I think) port now indicates a UPS is attached.

BUT -

1) There was no message in QSYSOPR to indicate that, which there should have
been.

2) The MATMATR API (Materialize Machine Attributes) shows that _no_ UPS is
attached.

I assume I am using that API properly because I got it from Carsten and
there is just no way he would have an error. <g>  The only thing I did to
his program was add this line:

Dsply (UpsBatLow + UpsBpsAct + UpsPwrRun + UpsInsRdy);

just before the Return; statement so I could see the results.

I think IBM has a real insidious problem here.  The CE said I'm not the only
account of his with this issue.  I think his fear is that's it's more
widespread that most of customers realize, they're just completely in the
dark on it.

IBM really messed up, IMO, when they replaced the J14 port, which was
_dedicated_ to the UPS, with a serial port.

I'm not really sure at this point whether it's hardware or software.
There's already a hardware problem open, now I'm going to add a software
problem as well.