Quick recap:  With the FC1827 attached and FSP reboot, the CE's laptop
attached to ASMI indicates a UPS _is_ attached.  But the MATMATR API
indicates _no_ UPS is attached.

Things just get curiouser and curiouser on this UPS issue.

IBM removed the J14 UPS port from the 520.  But I noticed a J14 port on the
0595 expansion unit.  I have an IBM document that in Q and A form says:

(These are word for word, grammar and all)

Q: i5Series systems (940X-520, 940X-550, and 940X-570 models), can J14 UPS
sense cable connections on an expansion tower to sense UPS signals if FC1827
is not available.

A: The J14 connection on any of the I/O towers is a valid UPS sense cable
port.  940X-520, 940X-550, and 940X-570 models required FC1827 as an option
because they could be a standalone system without any I/O towers.  If you
have one of these systems and choose to connect the UPS sense cable via J14
on an I/O tower it will work properly as the UPS interface.

So the CE and I decided to connect the UPS to this J14 port.  The MATMATR
API still does _not_ indicate a UPS is attached.  ASMI still indicates a UPS
_is_ attached.  Even after a *FULL IPL.  But since it requires power down,
turn off, unplug 2 minutes, for the FSP to see the FC1827 cable, I ass-u-me
it takes the same cycle to see that the FC1827 cable is gone?  And because
the system still thinks it's there, does that mean the system won't even
look at the J14 port?  What about systems with multiple expansion towers,
which J14 does the system look at?  The CE doesn't know, and hasn't found
anyone at IBM who knows.

I've got both hardware and software issues open on this.  I'd like to borrow
one of Rob's extra 520's that's just lying around so I could experiment for
about a week.  <g>  But when the only system you have is the production
system, power-down-and-unplug testing is not a good idea. <g>

If someone has a 520, with UPS attached, and the MATMATR API in use, I would
like to know of anyone whose use of this API actually results in saying a
UPS is attached.

Thanks.