On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 20:57 -0500, Jim Franz wrote:
> (for me) it's still who you know.... I see jobs get filled by someone
> recommending someone else - not by job listings and web posting boards.
> To put it bluntly, that's a cr** shoot way to hire. The job listings go up
> when contacts don't find the right person. I would agree
> the days of a 'warm body coder' are about gone. You need to really know
> some particular app or certain niche skill, especially for telecomute. I've
> been
> telecomuting for over 7 years and contract/consulting for decades before
> that,
> and it has always been who & what you know.
> Many companies will not lead with telecommute, but if your the right
> person & skillset for the job, they may very well consider it (especially if
> you ask for relocation expenses if not a telecommute).
> jim franz

I agree.  I've been consulting since 1991, and haven't skipped a beat,
until recently.  I've seen a number of customers decide to de-install
AS/400 and go another route.  I've seen some large outsource deals.

But I haven't seen very much 'rural-outsourcers' as the OP suggests.  I
suggest there would be more evidence of it -- especially on job boards
-- if it were more common.