On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 09:45 -0500, ldwopt@xxxxxxx wrote:
> AS400 820 V5R2
>
> I am dialing out on a 7855 model 10 modem going to a "bank" of unknown modem
> types on the other end.
>
> lately I have been experiencing a high number line drops with this message
> showing
>

>  Controller CN0796BSC not contacted. Call out request failed. (C R)
>    Reply . . :   R
>  System cannot call controller CN0796BSC. No lines available. (C R)
>    Reply . . :   R
>  Line LN0796BSC failed. Automatic recovery started.
>
> By doing a STRSST I have determined the message is a data-set-ready dropped
> message.   These modems are not on a service contract and it has been quite a
> wile since I have used these modem. Does this message indicate a modem
> problem and a replcement should be found or is it a line problem?
>
> TIA
>
> Dave Willenborg
> FNTS
> Omaha NE

Dave,

I used to do quite a bit of dial up with a 7855, and sometimes they will
stay up for days, and sometimes for just minutes.  Once the other side
is configured properly, the only issues I ever had were due to line
quality.

Try putting a phone on the line and listen to the dial tone.  You might
find a bunch of static on the line indicating a bad pair, which has
happened to me two or three times.

Just in case, it looks like spares are quite cheap:
http://tinyurl.com/jgpvl