midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   9. RE: Software Licensing for HA systems (Chris Bipes)
>
>Caution,  If you can remove them, someone can re-install and get another
>grace period without a full scratch.

For licensing generated via IBM licensing APIs, the RMVLICKEY command will
remove license keys. This has no effect on whether or not a grace period has
started. The grace period starts when the program product first requests a
license usage and the state of license key indicates that the period ought to
start. (If a valid license is already entered when the first license request is
made, the grace period isn't triggered.)

For example, the licensed product is created as a keyed product with a 10 day
grace period. The product is installed and used today, and the use involves a
product program that calls the RequestLicense API. If no license key has been
entered yet, then the grace period starts today.

Now, tomorrow, a valid license key is entered. Subsequent uses of the product
(where the product calls the RequestLicense API) result in successful license
usages. There is no problem with grace period yet.

But then, two weeks from today, RMVLICKEY is used to remove the license key
from the license repository. As soon as any part of that product calls
RequestLicense, the request will fail because (1) there is no valid license key
in the repository and (2) the grace period has expired because it was first
signalled today and only lasts for 10 days, not two weeks.

Removal of the product via DLTLICPGM and reinstalling the product will not give
a new grace period. The license repository retains info about product/license
usage separate from the license key itself.

That's one general scenario. There are multiple options of how to combine
expiration date, version/release/mod level, grace period, concurrent users,
etc. Determining what licensing options to use when creating a licensed product
is no trivial task.

OTOH, once the product definition is set, issuing a license key is trivial.
It's the control of the issuing that causes the problem.

Tom Liotta