Brad,

I see where you are coming from.  I guess if the vendor is concerned about
their customers illegally using their software, then maybe the fee is
justified.  I'm just not sure that a six figure fee for a key to the HA
copy is really justified.  And yes, the fee for one of our vendors will be
well over $100,000 for the HA copy if that is what we have to do.

Based on everything we are finding out, including the responses I have
received from this list, I think we are going to be looking for assurances
from the vendors that we will be able to get a temporary key when needed
either for testing of our HA fail-over or for real emergencies.

We had just thought that by having a key in place before an emergency
occurred, that would be one less thing to worry about during what is
already a stressful situation when you have to do an emergency switch to
the HA box.

If the vendors can give us some assurance that we will be able to obtain
the temporary key in a reasonable time frame, then that is the direction
we will be going.

Thank you,
Ronald L. Zimmerman
I.T. Applications Manager
Swiss Valley Farms, Co.      http://www.swissvalley.com
"The Good for You Company"
Email: Ron-Zimmerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Brad Stone" <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/14/2006 11:00 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Software Licensing for HA systems

Ron,

As an ISV, here's how I deal with this.

I give the user two options.

1.  In the case of needing to use the HA machine, they can
easily request a temp key from my site which will
temporarily allow use of the software (full use).

2.  If they wish, for "insurance", they can purchase a
permanent key for the HA machine at a discount.

So far users have been split 50/50 between the two options,
so it's not clear what they want as far as my software
goes.

Of course, I charge pennies for my software compared to
others as well as no other fees for maintenance, upgrades,
support, etc currently.

So that should also be looked at.

But, playing devil's advocate, let's say a year or two down
the road you've used your HA machine never, or once (except
for testing).  You have a new requirement that your company
needs an iSeries.  So you use the HA machine because it's
convenient.

Now, what's stopping you from using that "free" copy for
free for now what is production?  That's where to me as an
ISV it gets hairy, and also why I encourage users to use
the trial key for HA testing and actual HA machine use.  It
takes seconds to get the key, it's good for 30 days and can
be extended if needed.  But, if a situation like the above
arises, it becomes clear.  :)