If you listened to the webcast yesterday you may have noticed that in the
midst of the big System/i5 announcement even one of the IBM developers
referred to it as AS/400.  We all had a good laugh when we heard it, and he
probably got chewed out later for saying it, but hey, it could be worse.
It was a good name that had good marketing when it first came out.  If even
the IBMer's refer to it as an AS/400 then they need to work on an internal
marketing effort if they want the external one to go anywhere.  If not,
then they should save the money, keep calling it an AS/400, and we can stop
arguing.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      rob@xxxxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                    To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      midrange-l-bounces@m         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      idrange.com                 cc:

                                                  Subject:  Re: Say Hello to
IBM System i5!

                      02/02/2006 12:46 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Sure I can define one name - XT.  After all some people still call an I5
an AS/400, so why shouldn't we refer to the latest souped Wintel Server by
IBM or Lenovo as an XT still?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Keith Carpenter <carpcon@xxxxxxx>
02/02/2006 12:32 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: Say Hello to IBM System i5!

Trevor Perry wrote:

> Are you unaware of the plethora of tools that can present a GUI or web
> interface to a user withOUT 5250 requirements? System i5 has a legacy
(yes)
> of 5250, but it is not the only user interface any more.

I think that's the problem.  There are a bunch of tools.

> And, can you define "these name changes"? The AS/400 was introduced in
1988,
> the iSeries in 2000, the System i5 in 2006. 18 years is a long time in
IT,
> and the System i5 is significantly different than an AS/400.

As it's been said by others, you can refer to MS's product as Windows
and the variety of unix/linix versions as such (*nix).  But can you
define one name that for the box you are referring to ?

list