I wholeheartedly agree that the disk price on the iSeries is overpriced.
And it's even getting to the management here.

Recently I posted to the midrange-jobs about an associate that is leaving
one company for another.  The company he is going TO is phasing out their
iSeries.  I was just waiting for some snide comment from a list member
about "30 something MBA's" so I could flame them mercilessly.  The upper
management at his new company used to be the VP of IS here many years ago.
 Under his leadership we:
- Became the 3rd customer ever of SSA's BPCS.  And the oldest one still
running it.
- Rightsized many plants from PC based packages to the S/36.
- Moved from the S/36 to the AS/400
- Started sending him (and his successor) to the Rochester Executive
Briefing center on a somewhat regular basis.
- Started participating in other IBM AS/400 programs
- And I'm not sure that it was under him, or his successor, that we moved
from MS Mail to Notes/Domino.

At his new company he did upgrade his iSeries during the Green Streak
promotion under my urging and our mutual BP's help.

He simply wasn't satisfied with his software, submitted a 50 page RFQ,
(which he allowed me to distribute via the consult400 list to any
responders) and picked a different package.

And, as aggressive as that company is, I know they looked at mergers with
other companies currently on iSeries equipment.  Which is to say that
failure to initiate a full court press now could have further ripples.