Why are we still entering data into a dumb terminal in the 21st century?

I used a GUI tool to automate a green screen order entry function. Green screen terminals were previously used to enter orders, and the fastest clerk could get 80 orders a day. Now that it is automated and GUI, and he can do over 400 a day.

In this case, the users did not ~want~ to replace their green screen entry. In a short time, however, they became familiar with the new interface, and now they do not ~want~ to replace their GUI order entry. This was a business decision made by management, and they were rewarded.

So, should we allow programmers to keep using SEU and PDM because they just don't ~want~ to use RSE??

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Paris"
Subject: RE: VisualAge RPG for AS/400?

>> Why does a data entry clerk need the internet or anything BUT a green
screen, dumb terminal to enter the data???

Let's assume for the moment that they _don't_ need anything else.  It is
still irrelevant. It is what they _want_ that matters, not what they need.
And even if the users don't want it - their management still do.  And they
are the ones who make the decisions.

The replacement by cruddy Windows/Oracle/nameYourPoison "solutions" of large
numbers of iSeries around the world should be enough for all of us to take
that as a given.  I know of one case where a system that allowed a 5250
operator to process 10 - 15 orders an hour was replaced by an Oracle based
solution. Even after tripling the hardware beyond the original spec for the iSeries replacement, they could still only manage 4 - 5 orders an hour. But they are still using it - the 5250s are gone. Does it make sense? No. But
nobody ever said it had to!

Jon Paris
Partner400