From: Brad Stone [mailto:brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:46 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SNDEMAIL not working

If the command posted doesn't work and SNDDST doesn't work
that it has to be an issue with the IBM SMTP server and/or
the mail router.

You could run a quick test by downloading MAILTOOL from
www.bvstools.com/mailtool.html.

You'll also be sent temp keys for MAILTOOL and MAILTOOL
Plus when the information is filled out.

Apply both keys as stated in the email once MAILTOOL is installed.  This
will activate MAILTOOL and the MAILTOOL Plus addon which allows you to
totally bypass the IBM SMTP server and get some decent traces of the
SMTP communications.

Next, use MAILTOOL to send a simple email.  But also
specify:

SENDWITH(*MAILTOOL)
MAILRTR(xx.xx.xx.xx)
USERTR(*ONLY)
DEBUG(*YES)

Replace xx.xx.xx.xx with the mail router you're using.

Now, once it's done this will create a debug trace file
named /tmp/mailtoolsmtp.txt.  This will be MUCH easier to
read that the flight recorder for SMTP and tell you if the email is
getting delivered or not.

When running this command it will send the email totally bypassing the
IBM SMTP server.  This may tell you what the issue is.  If you see that
the mail router is saying something like "nope, I'm not sending this,
you're trying to relay" you know that's the issue.  If it doesn't and
says everything is fine, the issue may be with the IBM SMTP server
setup.

I've never really liked the IBM SMTP server...  which
forced me to roll my own.  :)

Feel free to contact me for help on this.  I'm not asking
you purchase my software, I'm simply offering it as a diagnostic tool.

Brad
www.bvstools.com

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzair/rzairg