You may want to look ath te system value QDEVRCYACN:

 Help                          QDEVRCYACN - Help
     Device recovery action.  Specifies the action to take when an I/O
     error occurs for an interactive job's work station.
     A change to this system value takes effect for new jobs started
     after the change.  The shipped value is *DSCMSG.

there are several options:

*DSCMSG
    Disconnects the job.  When signing-on again, an error message is
    sent to the user's application program.
*DSCENDRQS
    Disconnects the job.  When signing-on again, a cancel request
    function is performed to return control of the job back to the
    last request level.
*ENDJOB
    Ends the job.  A job log is produced for the job.  A message is
    sent to the job log and to the QHST log indicating that the job
    was ended because of device error.
*ENDJOBNOLIST
    Ends the job.  A job log is not produced for the job.  A message
    is sent to the QHST log indicating that the job was ended
    because of device error.
*MSG
    Signals the I/O error message to the user's application program.
    The application program performs error recovery.

maybe you select one that fits in your environment.

Bryan Dietz
Aktion Associates