If you're already doing _Ropen api to open and process the file, easiest
solution is:
     _Ropnfbk(openFile)->num_records
where openFile is your (_RFILE *) handle from _Ropen.

Next easiest is to use an ILE CL module that does RTVMBRD using NBRCURRCD
keyword.

Finally, I think QUSRMBRD API will also give you that and you wouldn't have
to use CL.

Elvis