Dear Nathan,

Some work has already been undertaken, to provide a
framework specification, for supporting some of the
capabilities you have outlined in your posting.

For an overview, see the URL:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-print/

I'm not certain whether this specification addresses
everything you would like to accomplish or not.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--