There is some kind of compression going on with the data to tape, and how effective it is depends on the nature of the content of your files. In other words, a 7 Gig backup tape might be able to hold 10 Gig of hard disk data.

You can get how much hard disk you have from a variety of commands such as WRKSYSSTS, and there is also what percentage of that hard disk you using, so do the math, and remember that total includes QUEUES which do not get backed up. There is a report the security officer can do (GO TASKS?) to get statistics on how much disk space eaten by QUEUES, various libraries.

GO CMDDSK for info about what's on hard disk.
GO CMDSTS for commands about system status.

Tapes come in various dimensions. Assuming your installation is not new, there were other people before you doing full system backups, and presumably they obtained tapes large enough for your company's needs.

Tapes come in various sizes where a limited GO BACKUP or some end fiscal steps might not need as large a tape. Ultimately you will need to identify which tapes for which purposes. It might help if you could find the tapes used in an earlier full system backup to see how long ago they were used and how many were needed.

GO TAPE can help you get at commands to look at contents of tapes ... and since this can be slow and tedious, it can help to SBMJOB something that will capture the data you want to look at later.

Any time we get a new backup system operational ... hardware replaced, procedures, personnel ... I try to schedule a backup inspection to make sure everything going on the tapes that ought to be there ... the computer can do most of this work for you via PDM-54 comparing two different *OUTFILE one from hard disk, one from tape, a backup done by GO SAVE will also update GO BACKUP and other statistics, looking at relevant stuff in DSPJOB from the time frame that the backup was going. If you view an object via WRKOBJ it tells you when it was last backed up. You can use DSPOBJ to *OUTFILE then select what objects not recently backed up.

Is there anyway of telling if I can get everything on one tape before
running the backup? Will looking at our system ASP and the amount that
is used be a good barometer for the size of the information being backed
up?