That should be a pretty good barometer, someone else may have a more exact
method of knowing for sure.

             "Grizzly M"
             <grizzlym@norther
             nwholesale.com>                                            To
             Sent by:                  "Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion"
             s+chadb=wheeling-         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             nisshin.com@midra                                          cc
             nge.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Full system back up.
             10/25/2005 02:25
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Thanks everyone. The information you provided has been extremely useful.
Fortunately, or unfortunately I get to come in at a god awful time when
there are no users on the system so there shouldn't be any downtime for
our users unless something goes awry.
Is there anyway of telling if I can get everything on one tape before
running the backup? Will looking at our system ASP and the amount that
is used be a good barometer for the size of the information being backed
up?

>I am tasked to do a full system back up. At my previous places of
>employment we had a system administrator and BRMS software that handled
>system back ups, but at my current place of employment I just became
the
>administrator (this morning) and we don't have any BRMS software. My
>back up experience is limited to putting tapes into the tape drive and
>occasionally adding a library to our daily backup program.  As such I
>have a couple questions. The first question is how long does an entire
>system back up typically take? I imagine it varies based on system, but
>is there a general amount of time that should be allotted? My second
>question is should I use SAVSYS, or GO SAVE option 21? In my mind GO
>SAVE option 21 is what I would want to use, since I do want to back up
>the entire system. Once I figure out which save option to use is it as
>simple as getting into dedicated mode and kicking off the back up, or
>are there any other prerequisites that need to be taken care of? Are
>there any special steps I need to take to handle messages? I will be at
>the console during the duration of the back up so in my mind I will be
>able to handle any errors that are raised. Finally, do I need to do
>anything special after the back up is finished?  Any help with these
>questions would be greatly appreciated. Also, any documentation, links,
>etc on this topic would help greatly.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Griz
>
>--
>This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
list

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor ... see