Hi Scott,

Scott Klement wrote:

> Generating PostScript works very nicely, the downside to it
> is that you have to generate PostScript. :)

If it has the same learning curve as AFP that wouldn't be a problem

> What I mean by that is that the iSeries doesn't support
> PostScript, so you won't be able to create a nice graphical
> document with DDS via CODE Designer (or whatever) and then
> write it out as PostScript. That won't work (at least not
> easily... there are APIs that convert AFPDS to PostScript,
> but they're slow and don't work very well, IMHO)

I have tried some open source that uses HPT but indeed it has not very
good results.

> Obviously, it requires more work to write PostScript
> directly. The nice thing is, PostScript is a text format, so
> you could potentially use something like CGIDEV2 to create
> "externally defined" PostScript files.

It is not clear to me what you mean by that.

> a) There's open source software called Ghostscript that will
> convert from PostScript a million other formats, including
> PDF and PCL.  It doesn't run natively on the iSeries, but
> Ghostscript will run under PASE.

I know of ghostscript. Does Ghostscript require modifications for
running under PASE ?

> Alternately, you could run it on your Linux box, and do the
> conversions there.
>
> For very large documents, this might not be practical. If you
> need to print large documents, I suggest getting a printer
> that supports PostScript -- they're easy to find, and
> relatively cheap.

To my luck, all of our printers do support it :)

> In my experience, the Postscript to PDF translation is nearly perfect.

That would be great, because the AFP2PDF conversion that we do now is
not accurate.

> b) Hylafax understands PostScript natively, so you should
> have no problem with that.

Right.

> c) Outputting AFPDS from PostScript is something I've never
> done, and I don't know how possible this is.

I don't think I would translate PS to AFP.
I'm affraid it will be just such pain as doing it from AFP to pdf.

> The other thing you might consider is XML. It's becoming more
> and more of a standard for this sort of thing.  Your program
> writes out XML data, and that data can then be transformed
> into any other format.
>
> For example, the socket and IFS tutorials on my web site were
> written in Docbook (which is an XML language).  I can
> transform the docbook into HTML, PDF, RTF, TeX, PostScript,
> and many other formats by running it through the appropriate
> formatting program.

If I understand this right, it needs some formatting program on the
other (receiving) side.
That wouldn't be an option when sending it via email I think?

> At this point in time,I find PostScript to be a better
> choice. I find it easier to make it work. However, I think
> XML is probably the way things will go in the future. It's
> something to think about.

So Postscript seems the solution. I'll dive in it.

Thanks a lot,
Arco Simonse
DISCLAIMER:
the property of the sender.
It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are not
authorized to read, print, retain, copy,disseminate, distribute, or use this
message or any part thereof. If you
receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete
all copies of this message.

presence of computer viruses