David/Guy,

I have figured out my issue. Thanks for the help. The problem was that
the customer had decided to change their password to be case
sensitive. My FTP script had the password in all caps.

So when i changed my Script to have password in lower case as follows it worked

USER APPUSER password

As far as authenticating twice, I have no idea why i am seeing the
credential on my system in the FTP output. When i issue the FTP
command it defaults to the user id on my system kthiruma. That profile
does not exist on the other system. Which is why i have to use the
USER command or as Guy pointed out i could have just used

APPUSER password