ASC has a product called RIO -- RPG into Objects. It converts RPG code
into Java or C++.  From the company website: "RPG to Java or C++
Conversion.  RIO automatically converts RPG into C++ programs or Java
classes. RIO allows you to more easily enable your legacy applications
for WebSphere development, e-business or the latest technologies or
programming techniques."

Databorough... page 29 of this month's (SEPT 2005) iSeries News:  "WHY
HESITATE, ANALYZE AND MIGRATE."  X-ANALYSIS -- "The full solution for
analysis and redeployment in J2EE, WebSphere or .NET"

There are others out there as well that I have not mentioned too.

I think this is pretty straightforward :-)

Microsoft has no interest or desire to "kill the iSeries."  In the last
two years, we have seen a big surge in requests for customers using the
iSeries about integration with Microsoft products like SharePoint,
Office, SQL Server, the .NET framework, etc.   They do not want to
change for the sake of change, but want to enhance and extend their
iSeries applications to make them more flexible and give NEW life and
longer expectancy to their iSeries.  Even using Windows applications as
a reason to UPGRADE to an i5. Any application that is useful to a
company must eventually be changed to maintain its relevancy.  The
Midrange Alliance is just giving these customers an alternative
viewpoint about using Microsoft technology with partner solutions.

The net is there are a lot of iSeries customers -- big AND small -- who
are using Microsoft software successfully with their iSeries simply
because it made good business sense.

David