Changing subject to What's New in VB from "Green Screen to GUI".

There are a lot of new features in Visual Basic 2005.  You can read all
about the new VB at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvs05
/html/vb9overview.asp.  There is also a free VB developer's book at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/whidbey/introto2005/.

According to Forrester Research, as of 2005, Visual Basic is used by
more than half of the world's professional developers.

So, let me tell you about the 5 things that I think make sense from an
iSeries Developer perspective if I may.

1.  Write less code.  If you are using VB to access your iSeries, you
would use data binding to make this happen.  Thanks to SqlDataSource's
ability to query a data source and bind to a control, no code is
required. In addition to querying databases, SqlDataSource can also
update databases. It can talk to any database for which a managed
provider is available, including DB2/400. SqlDataSource is part of a new
family of data source controls. Another notable member of that family is
ObjectDataSource, which enables controls to declaratively data-bind to
middle-tier data access components.  By the way, there also new JDBC
drivers included too which have been updated for the latest
specifications.

2.  Page Themes. If you are adding a GUI to replace a 5250 sceen, the @
Page directive's new Theme attribute applys a theme to all the controls
on the page. Alternatively, you can specify a theme in Web.config to
apply it to an entire site.

<%@ Page Theme="ThemeName">

You can build your own themes for your company or acquire them from
third parties.

3.  Simplified form authentication.  VB 2005 provides a membership
service for managing users and credentials; login controls for logging
in users, creating new users, and more; and a role management service
for enacting role-based security. The result is that forms
authentication is easier than ever before and can often be accomplished
without writing any code.

4. Applications will have better performance and be more easily secured.
All code in fact will be faster since there is just one compiler for the
32 languages supported by Visual Studio (this includes RPG and COBOL
too).  The langauges are first converted to Microsoft Intermediate
Language (MSIL) and then compiled.

5.  VB 6 developers will find it easier to upgrade to Visual Basic 2005.
We've seen development organizations get up to speed with development on
VB .NET in under 30 days.

Hope this helps...

David deLisi
Microsoft Corporation