This is where a PODBS (plain old database server) program really starts
to make sense.  The fact that each UDF has to execute its own SELECT
statement is just asking for trouble long term.

Instead, write a server program that reads the records and performs the
appropriate manipulations.  Calls this server and retrieve one record at
a time from it.  Getting the data can be done many ways; one option is
to have the server return a data structure containing the normal record,
and a second one containing the computed fields.

If you need SQL selection capabilities, then pass in the selection
criteria and use embedded SQL to select the records.

Joe