It's an error in the manual - make the following change

VALUE('' *TCAT

should be

VALUE('''' *TCAT

There was a recent post with a very elegant solution to the quoting problem -
use a variable in your QMQRY, say, &APOST, and set it to '''' in the SETVAR
parameter. You use it wherever you need in the SQL statement, so you'd have

WHERE JOB = &APOST&COND1&APOST AND SALARY < &COND2

and the SETVAR would include SETVAR((&APOST '''')) - that's 4 apostrophes

and the CHGVAR becomes CHGVAR VAR(&CHARJOB) VALUE(&VAR1)

I think that's right   ;-)

HTH
Vern