Hi Rob,

I have run into this before also, but I found that you don't have to IPL to
clear IFS locks.

The command RLSIFSLCK will cancel the locks on an object in the IFS.  I wrote a
program to go through a particular directory and release all of the locks.
There are various tools in the IFSTOOLS library available from IBM to assist
with this.  It sure made my life a bunch easier because in my case we had a
remote Linux box that the users kept bringing down abnormally.

Good luck
Wayne Johnston
Ripon Medical Center

Abnormal terminations?  You mean like my doing an ENDJOB of a large IFS
save?  After waiting 30 minutes for the ENDJOB to take affect I did an
ENDJOBABN and that killed it.  When the lynch mob arrived the next day and
let me know that it left a shipload of ifs objects locked we scheduled an
ipl for that night.  So, does 2 hours notice of an IPL count as scheduled
or unscheduled downtime?  It was decided that we couldn't even wait until
the IPL scheduled for this weekend, (which we do every 8 weeks).