Carel,

This was an issue when the user's first brought up the problem, and will continue to be an issue after we do the actual code. Luckily we do not have two part numbers that are the same sans the dashes.

In my mind, the part number is the entity with the dashes and when validating a part number, I would love to do it with the dashes in place. Given that I am not going to be able to convince my users to a) pick from a "subfile" the part that they want ( "Too many key-strokes", they said ) b) remember the bloody number dashes and all, I am forced to resort to this otherwise unsavoury method.

I just have to keep in mind that the web-side guys love the fact that they too can validate against this translation files.

Pillai

Carel Teijgeler wrote:

Pillai,

So, part number 123-3321-000 will become 1233321000. Part number 1233-3210-00
will become 1233321000. Both may be correct part numbers. Looking it up in this
special file with the value 1233321000 will retrieve the correct part number.
Is this the idea behind this exercise?

If my understanding of the problem is correct, then:
Is it not more sensible to store the stripped value in the main file, the part number
file, in stead of a look-up file to get the real part number value? Input by users should
be verified with the main file, not by a "translation file". If part numbers do
not have a regular format, so be it, but do not yield to the stupidiness of users, who do
not create their own convention in naming part numbers.

Indeed, lots of work for something completely stupid; just a waste of time, as
you will never get it completely covered. Now there are dashes, next
underscores, you name it.

And the trigger is fired at an update of the file. What will you then, correct
the input? And will that correction supply the required part number? Perhaps
they fill in a random part number for deletion, the trigger selects the wrong
one and who will be blamed? You.

The "translation file" will be contain contain a multiple of records to the
part number file. For what? For you not allowed to verify input?

This is kind of GIGO, IMHO.

Carel Teijgeler