Rob,

Thanks for that warning. Luckily there are no partNumbers which are identical except for dashes.

On further conversations with the users, it turns out that the problem seems to be when some user's are entering partNumber's like A-123300 for a partNumber A-123-300. Or even more frequently, A123300 ( like it is said ) instead of A-123-300.

I would be inclined to go with the replace( partNumber, '-', '' ) solution, if it were not for the fact that it might impact retrieval speeds, and I am leery of building an index on replace( partNumber, '-','' ) because of the performance implications.

Pillai

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

First you need to check to see if there are valid duplicates in your master file. For example is there both a part 'a-123' and a 'a1-23'?

select part# from pillai PART#
a-123
a1-23
*****

select replace(part#, '-', '') from pillai group by replace(part#, '-', '') having count(*)>1 ....+....1 REPLACE a123 ******** select part# from pillai where replace(part#, '-', '') in (select replace(part#, '-', '') from pillai group by replace(part#, '-', '') having count(*)>1) ....+
PART#
a-123
a1-23
*****

If you get any hits - the project is doomed.