Jeff,

 When our masterfiles were designed ten years ago we took a WAG and
allocated 81 chars: 40 for the address, 40 for the domain and 1 for the "@"
because we didn't know what to expect. There are several thousand business
partners on file now. The greatest distribution is between 20 and 33 chars
and it drops off precipitously after that. There are only 4 recipient
addresses with length greater than 50 and those have the friendly name
embedded inside the address like:
"Suzie Creamcheese" <Suzie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

JK