Has anyone ever used the MOUNT command to extend there IFS
to an other host system?

Yep, all the time.

What I wanted to do was use Domino directory links to move archives off
the 400 and on to a new Linux PC server. IBM support says this is not
supported on an iSeries. They suggested to mount the Linux folder
specifying a file system type of UDFS.

I think they probably meant NFS rather than UDFS.

While I have a clue what they are saying, I have no clue on how to make
it work.  The 400 simply states that it can not find the remote host and
the MOUNT command fails.

Can you give us the syntax of the mount command that you're trying? Do you have the NFS server configured and running on your Linux box?

The 400 can ping by both IP and host name.
Windows explorer from a PC can open the
Linux share no problem
e.g. \\linux-server\sharename       or
\\10.20.10.100\sharename
The Linux box is running Samba and is acting as
a Windows Domain Controller.

This is Windows networking (SMB) not NFS or UDFS. You can't use this in conjunction with the MOUNT command (as far as I know, anyway.)

However, you should be able to go to /QNTC/linux-server/sharename
using this method, assuming you're running a relatively new version
of OS/400.

Personally, though, I wouldn't use this approach. I'd rather have the ability to mount the share anywhere I want -- and you can't do that with Windows networking. Furthermore, I've found Windows networking to be horribly awkward on the iSeries.

Instead, set up an NFS server on the Linux box, and set up a share. Once that's working, you should be able to use the MOUNT command to mount it. For example:

    MOUNT TYPE(*NFS) MFS('linux-server:/home/terry') MNTOVRDIR('/home/bob')

That command connects to an NFS server named 'linux-server' and maps the directory called "/home/terry" on that server so that it's visible in the IFS as "/home/bob"

Now, whenever you work with files in the /home/bob area of the IFS, it'll actually be referencing objects that are on the linux server.

But, of course, you do need that NFS server set up and configured on the Linux box.